At TalkHQ Speech Pathology, we understand the importance of flexibility and have introduced an innovative solution for families who may find it challenging to access our clinics – Talk Online. In this blog, we will explore the world of online speech therapy and shed light on what parents can expect from these sessions.
The Seamless Transition
Online speech therapy sessions at TalkHQ are designed to be a seamless transition from traditional in-person sessions. The core focus remains on making the sessions engaging and enjoyable for your child, with the only significant difference being the environment.
In a typical in-person session at one of our clinics, our therapists utilise various toys and games from the therapy room to create a dynamic and interactive learning experience. In the online environment, your child can use their favorite toys and games from the comfort of their home. This not only ensures a familiar and comfortable setting for your child but also facilitates a more personalised and tailored approach to therapy.
Adaptability for Every Child
We understand that every child is unique, with their own set of needs, preferences, and challenges. Online speech therapy sessions are flexible and can be adapted to cater to the specific requirements of your child.
If you have a spirited and active child who needs to move around, our therapists incorporate regular movement breaks into the session. Likewise, for children with a shorter attention span, activities are switched up to keep them engaged and motivated. Just because therapy is through a screen, it does not mean we expect your child to stay still.
The Power of Resources
One concern parents may have about online speech therapy is the availability of resources. Rest assured, our therapists have access to an extensive range of digital resources to facilitate effective online sessions. Whether it’s interactive games, virtual exercises, or standardised tests for older children, we ensure that the quality of therapy remains uncompromised in the online setting.
Tailoring the Experience
The beauty of Talk Online lies in its ability to tailor the therapy experience to suit the individual needs of your child. We understand that some children may feel more comfortable and at ease in their home environment compared to a clinic setting.
Providing therapy in the child’s own home environment means that the therapist can see how to use the child’s typical living space to achieve therapy goals. Parents can then replicate the activities once the online session is completed.
Common Concerns Addressed
Parents often have concerns about the efficacy of online speech therapy compared to traditional in-person sessions. It’s important to note that research has shown that online speech therapy can be just as effective as face-to-face sessions. In fact, Talk Online has the added advantage of increased convenience and accessibility.
Furthermore, our therapists are trained to create a virtual therapeutic space that promotes engagement and connection. Through video conferencing platforms, your child can interact with their therapist in real time, fostering a supportive and encouraging environment for learning and growth.
Things to consider in preparation for your Talk Online session:
- Limit your child’s screen time before their therapy session. It can be hard for some children to transition from their favourite YouTuber to a therapy session.
- Choose a quiet space to set up your digital equipment
- Choose an activity to keep siblings occupied while your child is having their online session. Perhaps a relative or close family friend could play with them outside or in another room during your child’s therapy session.
- Give your child countdowns before their session. For example, “You get to see Miss Jenna in 10 minutes!” “Five minutes until we get to see Miss Jenna!” etc.
- Let your child decide which toy/game they will use during therapy sessions. Email the clinician so they can prepare the activity to include in the session.
- Be present for the therapy session. Too often, we hear stories where the child has been left unsupervised for their online session. Sometimes, children have turned the device off unbeknownst to the parent.
Talk Online at TalkHQ Speech Pathology opens up new possibilities for families seeking high-quality speech therapy services in a flexible and convenient manner. The world of online speech therapy is dynamic, engaging, and tailored to meet the unique needs of every child.
If you’re considering Talk Online for your child, rest assured that the same positive outcomes can be achieved, all from the comfort of your home.
For further information please check out -> https://talkhq.com.au/why-wait-to-talk/?telehealth